We hatch our own Free-Range chickens every year on our farm and it is this same egg stock that we share with you here. 🐣
The Legbar is a rare British auto-sexing breed of chicken, created in the early twentieth century. Their main egg colour is blue, green, or olive.
Latest fertility rate is 85% (testing 100% of eggs over 5 consecutive days) April 2023
Cream Legbar chicks can be sexed at birth by their down colour. The photograph attached shows the difference between the male (who is lighter in appearance and has a yellow spot on the top of his head) and the female (who has a darker back with darker stripes).
Our own chickens that we hatch every year are beautiful and lay well.
- Freshest laid eggs provided for you (8-48 hour laid)
- Carefully individually selected for maximum chance of hatchability (not all fertile eggs are good to hatch)
- Carefully hand prepared (more info on our Facebook group on how we prepare and care for your eggs)
- Carefully packed in clean, home-compostable packaging
- Package clearly externally marked as fragile (using paper fragile tape) and box marked on 4 sides for orientation.
- We help you along the way within our Facebook Group ‘Home Farm Customer Hatching Stories’ where you can also see other customers experiences.
- Postage** – We use Royal Mail Tracked 24 service so you can see where your eggs are all along their journey to you. Should you prefer not to take the risk of postal delay, we have provided an option for you to choose Royal Mail Special Delivery.
- Packaging – we are proud to say that we do not use any polystyrene or plastic packaging in any form. All our packaging is home compostable.
- Collection – you may collect your eggs from us. They can be collected from our ‘Click & Collect’ shelf in our shop 24/7/365. There is no requirement for contact. We will email you to let you know when they are ready for collection.
For advice on how to care for your chickens please visit https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/farmanimals/chickens
🐣 Have Fun Hatching! 🐣
*fertility – although we cannot guarantee fertility we have an extremely high fertility rate (see above). We hatch our own birds every year on our farm and it is this same egg stock that we share with you here. It is impossible to tell whether an egg is fertile until it’s been incubated for about 7-10 days.
**Please note – Postage is very hard on hatching eggs. We and the postal service can’t guarantee how carefully the boxes are handled and no matter how well we pack them, sometimes you end up with cracked eggs, detached air-sacs (advise on how to treat these eggs on our Facebook group page), or otherwise “scrambled” eggs on delivery. The latter are unlikely to develop.
We can’t be held responsible for damaged eggs or postal delays. Regarding any postal delays – hatchability holds reasonably well up to 7 days, but declines rapidly afterwards. After 3 weeks of storage, hatchability drops to almost zero.
- When we pack and send – see website shop front.
- We do not delay posting out orders unless specifically requested to do so by the buyer, or we may delay over long bank holidays if we judge egg viability to be otherwise compromised.
- PLEASE NOTE – WE GIVE OURSELVES 1-2 WORKING DAYS TO DISPATCH. VERY OCCASIONALLY OUR BIRDS MAY HAVE NOT LAID ENOUGH THAT DAY (FOR WHATEVER REASON) OR THERE HAVE BEEN BREAKAGES. IN THIS SCENARIO, YOUR ORDER IS PLACED TOP OF THE LIST FOR THE NEXT DAY.
Olga (verified owner) –
Update on the hatching rate after my purchase in March.
20 out of 24 egg hatched, very healthy and very chubby chicks.
Taking into account delay by Royal Mail and an airplane journey to Europe the results are astonishing.
Purchasing Marans for May now )
Olga (verified owner) –
Thank you, the eggs are absolutely perfect.
My parents are very pleased and grateful. My mum says they have never had such an amazing quality eggs before and they have been hatching chicks for at least 15 years.
Thank you Olga – great to hear! Glad they travelled well on the plane with you across Europe!
James Llewellyn (verified owner) –
Delivered quickly and well packaged. 9/10 were showing growth at day 7 which is fantastic for posted eggs 🙂
Juliet Kitson (verified owner) –
Collected half a dozen beautifully packed eggs from Home Farm last year. All 6 hatched successfully into healthy chicks and I’ve just started collecting beautiful blue eggs from the nest boxes. Lovely friendly hens.